Saturday, October 5, 2013

Southern Tennessee Plunge Marathon and Half

So this morning I ran the half marathon at the Southern Tennessee Plunge in Winchester, TN. This was an awesome race for a small town. The course was hilly with some long steady climbs and a few short steeper ones, especially the series of climbs from mile 12-13.
I set myself a goal for this race to complete in 1:38:00. I fell short of the goal, finished in 1:40:03. I think my downfall was starting out to quick. I ran with the front of the pack for about 4 miles, then I was running all alone. I did this til around mile 6 or 7 when got passed by guy out of no where. At this point I was running around 7th place...had finished 8 miles in 57 min. Then around mile 9 got caught again by another runner. The rolling hills were starting to take toll on me. I stayed in this place til passed mile 11 and 2 more people caught me. Then came the climbs beginning at mile 12. As we headed up the hills for the climb to the finish line was passed by 3 more runners. I was given everything I could, but seemed to be getting no where fast. As we topped the last hill and made our turn I could see the finish line. I was able to pick my pace up and finish strong at the end. I finished the half today 13th overall, which is my best finish for this distance, 3rd in my age group, something I had never done, and with a new PR of 1:40:03, 4:23 faster than my previous half marathon. Look forward to this race again next year. Now it is time to continue training for my Marathon in January.

No comments:

Post a Comment