Sunday, October 27, 2013

Ragnar Relay TN 2013

Well it is the day after a fun and exhausting two days. Not as sore as thought would be. Glad to be home, but miss everyone already.
So let's talk about the past 2 days. I was part of a 12 member team running a relay race from Chattanooga, TN to Nashville, TN. The race was 196 miles. Each teammate was to run 3 legs of the race distances varying from 3-9 miles. Each team has 2 vans carrying 6 runners, and after your van completes their leg of the race, you have down time while other van's runners run.
So our team started out at 9 AM Friday morning with van 1 in Chattanooga. That put me starting my first run around 230 PM on Friday.
My first run was getting near. We arrived at the exchange area, picked up our race numbers, was briefed on safety and van support. Then we took a team picture and it was time to get ready for my run.
I was so pumped when my teammate rounded the corner and was heading my way. I stuck my arm out, received the slap bracelet that we had to use to pass between runners, and I was off. This was going to be by far my hardest challenge and run, 5.3 miles with the last 3 covering 1100'+ elevation change. I was so pumped starting out that I had to slow my pace, I glanced at my watch and was running a 5:45 mile pace. My goal for this leg was to stay under 9 min mile pace. As I started my ascent, I was keeping below the pace. At mile 4 I slowed to 9:12 and mile 5 I was at 10:30 mile pace. That 5th mile was steep. I finished this leg strong and completed the 5.3 miles in 44:11...10 min faster than the Ragnar pace calculator had me doing it in. I crushed this leg of the race and was excited.
After handing the bracelet of to my next teammate, I headed to the van to rehydrate and get ready for the next leg. We had a runner that became sick with stomach virus, so we had to run her legs for her. I volunteered for this leg. This run was 5.9 miles. It had some gentle rolling hills on this section of the course. I was able to complete this section in 47:19. Under 8 min mile pace for my second run of the day. When I handed off the bracelet this time it was time to change into warm dry clothes. Did I mention that temp was in 40's during these 2 runs? With this exchange we had 3 runners left til we were done with our first section of the run.
Once the 6th leg of this course was finished, we handed the reigns back over to van 1 and were able to go get some hot food, showers, and rest. So we thought on the rest. We headed to our awesome van driver's house, where his wife had fixed homemade chicken noodle soup and pb and honey sandwiches. After refueling I got a shower and changed into my clothes for next run. By that time we got word that 3 runners in van 1 were done meaning we had to leave out in about an hour. So I got 45 min sleep, then back to van to head out to next exchange. Man was I tired, but that was ok.
My next run was 6.5 miles. It was cold, very cold. The temp was 27 degrees at time of my run. I really did not realize the hills I ran on this leg. I was able to run with a guy that left out at same time as me and we carried on a conversation the entire 6.5 miles. Crazy thing was we did this while maintaining a 7:14 mile pace. Finished this leg in 47:03. My runs were getting stronger. Tiredness was gone and running with great authority.
After finishing this section of the race we all went and changed into clothes for next and final section of race. We all got about another hour of sleep before heading out to Cracker Barrel to refuel before our last journey. Also we heard from the runner that had been sick, she was meeting us and going to run her last leg. That was big lift for me. It meant I was only going to have to run 5.9 miles to finish my day, not another 8.9 after that.
We arrived at the last exchange and waited about 2 hours for the other van to show up. When they got there we all went out to exchange and waited for the word that their last runner was a mile away. I started getting pumped again. When the exchange was made I was off on my run. I was moving at a great pace. I was at 6:42 mile pace for first 3 miles, then I got stopped by traffic. That sucked...but was able to get across the 4 lanes after about a min and half or two of waiting. Then I was off again. This run was on 2 hours sleep and pure adrenaline. As I got within 1/10th of mile I began to sprint to my last exchange. This was an awesome feeling.
After finishing this leg, I changed, drank some hot chocolate and then we were off to cheer on our other runners.
When the last runner was off, we headed to downtown Nashville to meet up with the other van and wait on our final runner. As the final runner rounded the corner to the finish line, we fell in line in order we ran behind him and headed to the finish. It was so awesome to cross that line as a team. We celebrated together with pizza, beer, and pictures.
The things I learned on this race. No matter how tired you are, your body can do amazing things. Teammates mean the world in these type events, cheering you on, picking you up, and providing support when needed. The friendships you forge are priceless. The most important person for us was our van driver, without him it would have been tough. He made sure we had warm and place to change, food and drinks after runs, took us to clean bathrooms when needed, and would cheer us on through every leg.
This is an awesome event and run! I look forward to doing next year and many more after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment