Friday, November 22, 2013

1 1/2 year mark

A year and half ago I started on a journey to become healthier, fitter, and more active. When I started this journey initially it was to prepare for the Men's Health Urbanathalon. I lost 70 lbs during that 6 months and decided to set more goals and improve my fitness. Over the past year after that race, I have done several events and set new PRs for races. I have ran 2 half marathons setting PR each time. I have done a 15 mile Iron Warrior Dash, a Spartan Sprint, ran a 15K, a 10 miler, and ran 23.6 miles in the Ragnar Relay TN. The only goals not met in 2013 was to run a full marathon and do a Tough Mudder.
During the past year and a half I have really learned a lot about my body. I have learned what foods I can/can't eat. I have learned that junk foods, breads, pasta make me feel like been out partying all night when I get up the next morning. Yes I still eat them occasionally, but I know what the consequence will be the next day. I have become more in tune with my body, so I know when I have to rest or when can push myself more. I have realized that my body can take all kinds of punishment and that it is my mind that tries to tell me when to stop. During this year and half, I have learned what types of exercises my body responds to best. I have realized that I am not a weight lifter, I like body weight routines. I have grown to love exercise most people despise or will not do.
I have not lost a significant amount of weight over the last year since losing the first 70 lbs, but I think I have become leaner and stronger. I have lost 15 lbs from where I was a year ago. I have gained and lost repeatedly since the initial 70 lbs though, highest was back up to 213 around end of July 2013. I am now sitting at 177. I feel great about my current weight status.
The next 14 months I have many goals that I look to accomplish. Might not get to all but gives me things to look forward to. I have my Marathon goal to be accomplished in Jan 2014, then I plan on doing the Spartan Trifecta in 2014, finally my ultimate goal is to run the Dopey Challenge at Walt Disney World in Jan 2015. If time over the next 14 months will run some other local races. I would like to set a new 5K PR of under 20 min. I will try to be sub 1:35:00 on a half marathon. The only other goal would be to participate in the World's Toughest Mudder.
This adventure or journey, whichever prefer to see it as, has been very satisfying and rewarding. I can't wait to see where the next year takes me.

The following pictures show where I started, where I was 6 months later, and where I am currently.

No comments:

Post a Comment